Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Gap

                                    The Gap

I've learned that I have the potential for a well written, well informed analysis but I also have the potential for a lazy, basic analysis as well. I didn't reach as far as I should have at some points in my writing. Especially with  I also noticed that I am really reevaluating my life and the meaning of it all. I wrote several entries questioning life and more importantly, the gap between the Eastern and Western world. I have noticed that I am troubled by this gap and at the same time, I am grateful for the position I am in. I said, "It's weird to me that as I sit here writing this in a warm, free classroom as a woman, girls around the world will be shot and raped today." That's so stunning to me and I write about it a lot because I think I could think about the answer to why things are the way they are all day. I am trying to figure this question out and that's the main topic on my mind currently and so it is the main topic of my writing as well. Even so, I definitely have room for improvement.

I find that the times which my writing is lack luster, are times in which I don't understand the assignment or citation. In a lot of my journal entries about Lord of The Flies I struggled with being deep enough. The first part of that book just really confused me so my writing is poor. To improve, I can do my best to get a full and deep understanding of the text by asking the teacher and my peers questions. I can also think about the text more and really try to gain a deeper understanding for myself just by thinking about it. I also think that at times I struggle with just being lazy and not getting into the assignment. I can improve on this by seeing the beneficial things about the assignment and trust that I am writing for a good reason even if I don't see it. All the entries that I have written have given me a fuller understanding of my writing style as well as the texts that I was writing about. The entries have helped me because i can look back and see what my thoughts were on certain things, I can realize this fact and that will help me be more interested. Part of the reason I feel like my writing lacks at times is because I'm not writing about things that I enjoy.

When I read a good quote, hear a good speech or read a good book, I am often inspired to write about it. I like to write about Thich Naht Hanh and Stephen Bachelor because Thich Naht Hanh is my teacher and I read a lot of Bachelor's books. His wise words and over arching statements about the human condition and society make me want to elaborate and analyze everything as well. When I write, I like to  be in a setting with people around, but on my own. My house is too familiar and small so I usually go to a coffee shop so that I can be around society and unfamiliar location. I don't like to listen to music or drink anything because I am distracted to easily and am unable to focus. Inspired writing inspires me. Even if the topic that the author is writing about is fairly boring to me, I love when I feel like the author is passionate. 



No comments:

Post a Comment